The long, hot days of summer are coming to an end, and with the change of seasons can come a change in mindset and home goals. You may be overwhelmed thinking about the home projects you didn’t get to, the abundance of holidays and family gatherings coming up, and so much more. But don’t worry! Our team gathered the ultimate home design checklist to keep you organized this fall.
Refresh your outdoor spaces.
With St. Louis’ extended warm weather, you still have PLENTY of time to make the most of your outdoor spaces during the transition from summer to fall. Here’s our quick list to help you renew your porch or deck:
- Plant fall flowers and foliage. Clean up your planters, which are most likely filled with dead flowers that succumbed to the summer heat, and add in some seasonal flowers like mums in shades of red, orange, yellow, and white or go bold with black-eyed Susans.
- Switch outdoor pillows. Store away the ‘Hello, summer’ pillows and replace them with a pair that put you in the fall spirit!
- Add warmth to cooler days. The end of summer means the days are getting shorter, so hang some string lights on your back deck to keep your happy hours going past sunset! In addition to hanging string lights, we also love outdoor lanterns and a fire pit for making s’mores.
Switch up your indoor décor.
Now that you’ve checked off the outside of your home, let’s also ready your inside spaces for fall!
- Swap your look. ADJ designer Meagan marks the transition into fall by changing up the fabric, materials, and designs of her indoor décor. For example, her acrylic coffee table tray, used in the summer, is replaced with a woven basket for fall and winter to create a warm homey vibe.
- Change your linens. Colder weather means more blankets! Start transitioning your summer throws to storage and bring out your heavier blankets to prepare for those brisk fall nights to come. Implement darker shades or cozier textures.
- Update your scents. Changing your scents is a quick way to make a major impact in your home. What smells make you think about fall — pumpkin, apple cinnamon, sandalwood? Choose what makes YOU happy or create your own mixture with a simmer pot of fresh spices!
Align house projects with your fall goals for your home.
The key to any home project is to embrace it fully and make it count. Ask yourself these questions to get started:
- Do you want to change up the paint color of a room? Or even a whole level of your home?
- Is it time to reorganize your closet?
- Do you need to restock home supplies?
- Whom will you need to help complete your projects? Will your project require extra hands from a contractor or a painter?
Map out your holiday season.
It’s no secret: The holidays can be stressful. To make the most of your events this season, create your to-do list after taking inventory of which holidays you plan to celebrate and upcoming events.
For ADJ founder April, Halloween is a big deal along with tailgating at football games. So, this month, April is making sure she has a list of the Halloween decorations she’ll need inside (and outside) her house. Staying on top of her list helps her enjoy the small moments of the changing seasons, like her kids’ horseback riding lessons or a weekend family trip, since she’s already prepared!
Use ADJ’s curated checklist to help you transition seamlessly from summer to fall without all the chaos. For more organization and design tips, sign up for our newsletter — and don’t forget to check out our past newsletters!